RSS
My forum to pelt all areas of insanity around me. My motto: If you have something to say just SPEAK OUT.

Mr.Monk and the Blue Flu


I picked this book from a "throw away" organized by a moving neighbour. Since I can't stand books being ignored I picked (rather grabbed) this book and it was totally worth it! A very light and fun read. Based on the popular TV series "Monk" this book is written by Lee Goldberg who penned the screen plays for the TV series.

Adrian Monk is an ex-cop and since the death of his wife suffers from an OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) syndrome. He loves nothing better than order and balance in the universe to the extent that he slices his pizza using a compass to measure exact portions! He carries his own cutlery to restaurants and even washes the dishes (his own and the restaurant's dirty dishes) after his meals there. He can't bear to see a speck of dust anywhere and thinks that the duster and the mop are the best inventions of all time and his way of de-stressing is to clean the house and any ones house at that! At time he is even unable to control the urge to set things right at a crime scene. It is this very characteristic that makes him look at angles and clues that other detectives miss out while investigating homicides and solves cases in record time. The San Francisco police department engages him as their consultant to close out on important cases.

Monk is aided by his very efficient and loyal assistant Natalie Teeger who rightfully describes her job as a baby sitter. She is always there to hand him moist wipes when he needs to clean up after touching a messy desk at a crime scene, hand him his mineral water when he needs it and chauffeur him around the city while he investigates his cases. She tries to make him look sane to the rest of the world.

All these details are humorously narrated by Natalie in this book where Monk takes over as the acting captain of the SFPD when the entire police force goes on sick leaves also known as the Blue Flu so that the mayor of the city can understand their needs for decent salaries and medical insurance. In India we would call that a strike! The mayor hires Monk as the acting captain and also assigns to him a team of equally twisted detectives - a conspiracy nut, an officer with anger management issues and a really old detective who forgets his name every few hours! How this team led by Monk, solve 2 high profile cases dealing with serial killers forms the rest of the book!

If you want to laugh a lot, give this book a go - you won't be disappointed

4 comments:

Lee Goldberg said...

Thank you for rescuing my book from the trash heap. I am glad you were rewarded with an enjoyable reading experience. I hope you won't wait until someone throws out a MONK book to try some of the others in the series.

Lee

SR said...

Dear Lee

Thank you for stopping by and taking a moment to comment! I am very excited and honored! You can be assured that I will be checking out more books from the MONK series...I am a fan! Am hitting myself for missing out the TV series but an planning to watch some episodes on usa.com!

Smita said...

Ah! the book sounds interesting! Will look out for it.

SR said...

Great! Hope you enjoy it..

Lee Goldberg said...

Thank you for rescuing my book from the trash heap. I am glad you were rewarded with an enjoyable reading experience. I hope you won't wait until someone throws out a MONK book to try some of the others in the series.

Lee

SR said...

Dear Lee

Thank you for stopping by and taking a moment to comment! I am very excited and honored! You can be assured that I will be checking out more books from the MONK series...I am a fan! Am hitting myself for missing out the TV series but an planning to watch some episodes on usa.com!

Smita said...

Ah! the book sounds interesting! Will look out for it.

SR said...

Great! Hope you enjoy it..

Post a Comment